Under a side note on the manuscript contains the oldest copy of “Tóruigheacht Dhiarmada agus Ghráinne” ( “The Pursuit of Diarmuid and Gráinne ‘) (Royal Irish Academy Ms. P.9), Irish scribe Dáibhídh Bacach (” lame David “) Ó Duibhgeannáin lived and worked on ( “Red Island”) on Lough Mask in house Tadhg Og O Flaherty in the day, april 1, 1651.
The Lough was the scene of 1882 “Lough Mask Murder”, when two bailiffs working for Lord Ardilaun killed, described as “an old man and a boy.” Tensions had occurred in the area during the land wars and the proximity of land managed Charles Boycott. The controversial lack of credible witnesses led to four well-publicized trials of the accused in 1882-1883.
According to local legend, a banshee haunting Lead Island, a small island in Lough.
It has also been rumored sightings of a banshee around the shores of Lough and other forms of paranormal activity.
During the pilgrimage July 31, 2005 a plaque commemorating its centennial presented by Michael Neary, the Archbishop of Tuam.
It was decided in 2005 to open the church every day during the summer, rather than just on holidays.
Cong is home to Ashford Castle, a luxury hotel, converted from a Victorian faux Lake Castle, built by the Guinness familjen.The Museum of Country Life is located in Turlough Village, 8 km (5.0 mi) northeast of Castlebar, County Mayo in Ireland.Founded in 2001, the museum is part of the National Museum of Irelandoch is the only national museum outside of Dublin.Pilgrimage was canceled because of safety reasons in 2015.A small chapel was built on the top and dedicated July 20, 1905.